Job Family is a groups of jobs which have the same nature and require related but different levels of responsibility, skills, knowledge and expertise.
Job Family concept provides a structured framework to architecture a Unified Human Capital Management. Job Family modeling can serve as a unifying framework for various Human Resource processes and systems, including an approach for integrating people and jobs.
What is a Job Family?
- Job Families consist of groups of jobs which share similar characteristics
- Within each Family there are several role profiles against which individual jobs can be matched
- Any Job Role can only fall under one specific Job Family
- The core nature of activities is similar across all levels within each family
- The skills, competencies and responsibilities differ between each level
Job Family is an integrated approach to :
- Performance Management
- Career Paths
- Learning & Development
- Attraction & Onboarding
- Workforce & Succession Planning
What an effective Job Family Model should provide?
- A logical and understandable system for evaluating and differentiating positions within the organization.
- A consistent methodology for assigning job levels and positions based on an established criteria, which promotes consistency and confidence in job assignments organization-wide.
- A common language for human resources, management, supervisors, and employees to use in career development and workforce planning discussions.